1 in 5 Americans are affected by mental health conditions. With the right care, recovery is possible. But, most people are being denied the care they need because America’s mental health system is broken. Here are the alarming facts:
- America’s suicide rate is twice the rate of homicides and the highest it’s been in 30 years.
- Half of Americans with mental illness did not get any mental health care in the past year.
- Mental health care is unfairly restricted by many health insurance plans.
There is a bill that can help, but the U.S. Senate must act now.
The Mental Health Reform Act of 2016 (S. 2680) will:
- Combat suicide in our schools and communities.
- Improve access to mental health care by increasing the number of mental health professionals.
- Hold health insurance plans accountable for covering mental health fairly.
Tell your Senators to do their job and stand with the millions of Americans and families impacted by mental illness in our country. Ask them to pass the Mental Health Reform Act of 2016 today.